Rainbow Spirulina-Matcha Latte by Louise Murray
We asked health and mindfulness coach Louise Murray to share her recipe for this energy boosting, healthy alternative to coffee. Over to Louise...
Rainbow Spirulina-Matcha Latte
I broke up with coffee a few years ago. Caffeine can really affect your mood and it's now more important than ever to be mentally and emotionally strong. So if you want to give caffeine the kiss goodbye but you still need that energy hit, then this recipe is for you!
Matcha is a great alternative to coffee. It doesn’t have the negative side effects of caffeine but does boost your energy and concentration PLUS it’s packed full of immune supporting antioxidants and phytonutrients…AND it contains a unique amino acid called L-theanine which helps induce relaxation and can help fight stress signals.
I use blue spirulina in this recipe because it contains all the energy boosting, immune enhancing, digestive support benefits of green spirulina but without the unpleasant (to some) taste that green spirulina is somewhat famous for.
Three more reasons why you should swap coffee for Matcha:
- Coffee interferes with GABA, (nature’s Valium) which promotes feelings of calm and happiness.
- Coffee can cause hormone imbalances and spikes in both adrenaline and cortisol which can lead to feelings of anxiety, negative thoughts and can give you the jitters.
- Studies show that daily caffeine intake can effect sleep patterns causing restless sleep and daytime drowsiness.
So the next time you reach for your coffee mug, why not give this healthy alternative a go instead?!
You will need the below:
- 3/4 cup cold unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp blue spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup hot water, not boiling
- 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine the cold milk with blue spirulina powder until dissolved
- Whisk together the matcha and hot water until dissolved
- Add the blue spirulina milk to glass with ice
- Add a splash of uncoloured milk
- Top with the hot matcha
- Sweeten to taste with maple syrup