Lazy Dahl by Amelia Freer
This delicious dahl is the perfect mid-week meal to warm you up on a chilly evening.
This one is perfect when you want an easy, nutritious dinner that the whole family will love.
This comforting dahl by Nutritional Therapist Amelia Freer is a one-pot-wonder and a great way to feed many mouths. Whip up a big batch and you can freeze it for later.
You will need the below:
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, coriander and mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 200g dried red lentils
- 1x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 500mil vegetable stock
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 handfuls of washed fresh spinach
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A handful of coriander leaves
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and gently toast the cumin, coriander and mustard seeds for 2 to 3 mins, until the mustard seeds start to pop. Tip them out of the pan, and then lightly grind them in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
- Put the coconut oil into the hot pan, then add the onion with a pinch of salt and cook gently for 5 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the freshly ground spices, along with the turmeric and garam masala, and cook for 1 minute.
- Finally add the lentils, coconut milk and vegetable stock, and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes with the lid on, then 10 minutes with the cover off to allow it to thicken.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add the spinach and stir until it wilts, then squeeze in the lemon juice and top with fresh coriander leaves.
Discover more of Amelia's delicious recipes in her book Simply Good For You by Amelia Freer (Michael Joseph, £22) here...
You can book an appointment with Amelia and find out more about her work here...
All images by Susan Bell.