Healthy Apple Crumble by Rhiannon Lambert
We asked Nutritionist Rhiannon Lambert to share her favourite recipe for a cosy autumnal evening.
Healthy Apple Crumble
The days are darker, and the nights are drawing in but there’s nothing like a bowl of healthy, delicious food to keep your spirits up. We asked Nutritional Therapist and all-round food lover Rhiannon Lambert to share with us her recipe (from her book Re-Nourish: A Simple Way to Eat Well) for a healthy apple crumble, one of her go-to winter warming dishes that you can easily make at home.
‘I would always go for a crumble over a pie; it is one of my all-time favourites. I’ve tweaked the recipe and made a flourless topping with oats and almonds to give an extra protein punch. Cinnamon and apple work well together but if you have other firm fruit that needs using up, such as peaches or plums, you can always use those instead. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or yoghurt.’
You will need the below:
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
For the apple base
- 600g eating apples (e.g. Braeburn or Gala), peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 60g berries of your choice
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the crumble topping
- 100g rolled oats
- 40g ground almonds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter or coconut oil (cold)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Put the apples, berries, orange juice, honey and cinnamon into a baking dish and pour over 3 tablespoons of water. Stir gently to combine.
- To make the topping, put half the oats into a food processor and blitz to a flour. Tip into a bowl and stir in the rest of the oats, the ground almonds and cinnamon. Rub the butter (or solid coconut oil) into the mixture with your fingertips, then mix in the honey too.
- Spread the crumble on top of the apple base and bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes, or until the crumble is golden brown on top.
- Top with vegan ice cream, oat milk of homemade custard.
Discover more of Rhiannon's delicious recipes in her book 'Re-Nourish: A Simple Way to Eat Well' here...
You can book an appointment with Rhiannon and her team and find out more about her work here...