Black Bean Mushroom Chilli by Rhiannon Lambert
We asked Nutritionist Rhiannon Lambert to share her favourite veggie packed recipe for a cosy evening.
Warming Veggie Packed Chilli
Whether you eat meat or not, it’s really important to have some vegetarian meals in your diet.
This hearty dish by Rhiannon Lambert is a firm favourite of ours. Try mixing and matching your veg, adding in leftovers or swapping the type of bean if black beans are not your favourite. You could serve this with a jacket potato or with cooked brown rice, fresh chilli (or jalapeños), avocado and lime wedges. Delicious!
You will need the below:
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 white onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 50g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful of coriander
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- In a large pan or frying pan with a lid, warm the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the onions with a pinch of salt and sauté until softened, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute before adding the mushrooms.
- Increase the heat a little and cook the mushrooms for 5–10 minutes until they have browned.
- Now add all the spices, allowing them to toast and coat all the ingredients.
- Then add the grated carrot, beans, tomatoes and the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook over a low heat for 30–60 minutes, stirring from time to time (a longer cooking time is best for a richer flavour).
- Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes of cooking to allow some of the excess liquid to evaporate and for the chilli to thicken.
- Add the lime juice and season to taste. Serve with brown rice and top with sliced chillies, diced avocado and lime wedges. Roughly tear over the coriander.
Discover more of Rhiannon's delicious recipes in her book 'Re-Nourish: A Simple Way to Eat Well' here...
You can book an appointment with Rhiannon and her team and find out more about her work here...